THE CLUB INCORPORATES
“In sooth a goodly company.”
Reverend R.H. Barham: The Jackdaw of Rheims
From 1866 until 1997 the Club was what the law calls a voluntary association – a collection of individuals having no separate existence from its members. When the Club acquired first one building and then another, that property had to be bought and held by office-bearers as trustees for the Club. In 1997 the Club was incorporated under the Associations Incorporation Act. In due course title to the building was transferred to the new legal entity, Melbourne Chess Club Incorporated (Melbourne Chess Club Inc., for short). The title is held for safe custody by the Club’s solicitors, BMR Lawyers of 760 Riversdale Road, Camberwell, whose receipt is at page 309 of the Minute Book.